The organ was first built in about 1850 by Bates of London and was later rebuilt and enlarged by T C Lewis in 1870 as a 3 manual instrument. In the early 1960s the organ was rebuilt by Compton and was one of their last big projects before focusing solely on building electrone instruments . The work involved moving the instrument from the north chancel chamber to it's present position at the rear of the church, the installation of electric action, a new detached drawstop console and the addition of a few new ranks ranks of pipes. Since 2007, a 4ft foot Flute stop was added to the great and an electronic 32ft stop to the pedal.

The specification reads:

Contra Baryphon 32' (electronic)
Open Wood 16'
Bourdon 16'
Subbass 16'
Principal 8'
Flute 8'
Trombone 16'
Tromba 8'
Choir to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

Gedeckt Flute 8'
Dulciana 8'
Flute 4'
Salicet 4'
Block Flote 2'
Sesquiltera II
Clarinet 8'
Tromba 8' (great)
Sub Octave
Swell to Choir

Bourdon 16'
First Diapason 8'
Second Diapason 8'
Rohr Flute 8'
Principal 4'
Flute 4'
Twelfth 2.2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
Tromba 8'
Swell Sub Octave to Great
Swell Octave to Great
Swell to Great
Choir to Great

Geigen 8'
Lieblich Gedackt 8'
Gamba 8'
Voix Celeste 8'
Octave Geigen 4'
Mixture III
Horn 8'
Oboe 8'
Sub Octave
Swell Pistons to Pedal

5 double touch thumb pistons to choir and pedal
5 double touch thumb pistons to great and pedal
5 double touch thumb pistons to swell and pedal
5 toe pistons to great
5 toe pistons to pedal
3 pedal coupler canceller pistons
3 reversible toe pistons
1 reverse thumb piston - swell to great
1 general cancel thumb piston
1 balanced expression pedal to swell division with indicator