In the inter-war years, Compton built many of their 2 manual 4 rank instruments for city suburban churches and one such example can be found at St Mary and St John Catholic Church in the Erdington area of Birmingham.
Job number A354 was built in 1937 and originally installed at the front of the church to the right of the communion area In the 1980s the church was refurbished and the organ was moved to its present location on the rear gallery which is enhanced by the excellent acoustics of the church.
The specification reads:
Echo Bass 16'
Tromba Bass 16'
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Contra Salicional 16'
Hohl Fute 8'
Swell to Great
Hohl Flute 8'
Echo Cymbale III
Contra Tromba 16'
Tromba Minor 8'
Octave Tromba 4'
Tremulant (affects all divisions)
4 double touch thumb pistons to Great and Pedal
4 double touch thumb pistons to Swell and Pedal
1 canceller thumb piston - Great to Pedal
1 canceller thumb piston - Swell to Pedal
1 balanced expression pedal - organ
1 balanced expression pedal - crescendo
1 general cancel thumb piston
Double touch canceller to each division
4 ventil switches