The organ was originally built and installed in 1873 by the Sheffield firm of Brindley and Foster at a cost of approximately £1,300.
In 1952 the organ was rebuilt by Compton which included much new pipework, electric action, the Compton patent 32ft Polyphonic Bass and a detached stopkey console situated on the opposite side of the church to the pipes.
The organ is an excellent example of the work done by Compton's on rebuilding other instruments.
The present specification reads:
Sub Bass 32'
Open Wood 16'
Sub Bass 16'
Octave Wood 8'
Choir to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Double Dulciana 16'
Viol d' Orchestre 8'
Concert Flute 4'
Dulcet Twelfth 2.2/3'
Dulcet Fifteenth 2'
Swell to Choir
Double Open Diapason 16'
Open Diapason 1 8'
Open Diapason 2 8'
Open Diapason 3 8'
Hohl Flute 8'
Harmonic Flute 4'
Choir to Great
Swell to Great
Geigen Diapason 8'
Rohr Flute 8'
Echo Gamba 8'
Voix Celeste 8'
Wald Flute 4'
Contra Fagotto 16'
6 double touch thumb pistons to Choir and Pedal
6 double touch thumb pistons to Great and Pedal
6 double touch thumb pistons to Swell and Pedal
6 toe pistons to Pedal and Great
6 toe pistons to Pedal and Swell
1 canceller thumb piston - Choir to Pedal
1 canceller thumb piston - Great to Pedal
1 canceller thumb piston - Swell to Pedal
1 general cancel thumb piston
1 balanced expression pedal - Choir
1 balanced expression pedal - Swell
Double touch canceller to each department
A view of the Compton factory in around 1952 and the console of the organ at St Lawrence & St Paul Church, Pudsey can be clearly seen newly completed at the very front. The factory looks a hive of activity here with consoles for 347, 348 electrones under construction as well as those for 2 and 3 rank 'Miniatura' pipe models and other instruments.