St Mary's Church in Prescot near Liverpool, Merseyside is a good example of the work which Compton did in rebuilding instruments from other builders.

The organ here was originally built in 1822 by John Gray of London and in 1846 was enlarged by Gray and Davison. Later work was done by Porritt of Leicester and Rushworth and Dreaper of Liverpool.

In the 1950s the organ was completely rebuilt by the John Compton Organ Company which included the present console, a 32ft patent polyphonic bass, Tromba and Dulciana ranks as well as other tonal changes giving the present specification and layout.

In 1992, the organ was overhauled by David Wells of Liverpool which included new action and piston capture system.

The specification reads:

PEDAL
Sub Bass 32'
Open Wood 16'
Open Metal 16'
Sub Bass 16'
Bourdon 16'
Octave 8'
Violoncello 8'
Bass Flute 8'
Fifteenth 4'
Flute 4'
Mixture III
Trombone 16'
Contra Fagotto 16'
Tromba 8'
Fagotto Clarion 4'
Choir to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Great and Pedal pistons coupled

CHOIR
Contra Dulciana 16'
Rohr Flote 8'
Dulciana 8'
Vox Angelica 8'
Gemshorn 4'
Wald Flote 4'
Dulcet 4'
Nazard 2.2/3'
Dulcet Twelfth 2.2/3'
Flautino 2'
Dulcet Fifteenth 2'
Tierce 1.3/5'
Acuta II
Tromba 8'
Clarion 4'
Swell to Choir
Tremulant

GREAT
Double Diapason 16'
First Diapason 8'
Second Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Spitz Flute 4'
Twelfth 2.2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture III
Tromba 8'
Clarion 4'
Swell to Great
Choir to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason 8'
Lieblich Gedact 8'
Echo Gamba 8'
Voix Celeste 8'
Principal 4'
Open Flute 4'
Flageolet 2'
Mixture III
Contra Fagotto 16'
Fagotto 8'
Cornopean 8'
Oboe 8'
Clarion 4'
Sub Octave
Unison Off
Octave
Tremulant

ACCESSORIES
6 thumb pistons to Choir
6 thumb pistons to Great duplicated by toe pistons
6 thumb pistons to Swell
6 toe pistons to Pedal
8 general thumb pistons
6 reversible thumb pistons
1 reversible toe piston - Great to Pedal
1 reversible toe piston - Trombone 16ft
1 thumb piston - piston capture
1 thumb piston - general cancel
16 piston memories